Welcome....

...and visit often.

This blog is designed as a way for me to share my pictures, comments and observations during this trip. Much of what I post will be immediate observations and not necessarily carefully analyzed conclusions; thus the blog does not accept comments that may induce a lot of chatter.

If anyone does have some ideas to share with me, feel free to comment directly to me by email, rlblock@arctic.net.



Thursday, May 19, 2011

14. Keeping Kool at the Kibbutz

For me this is the thirteenth straight day of traveling, rock climbing and sight seeing.   For those on the tour that just arrived, today is only the third day.    Since the itinerary called for some more hiking and rock climbing to places I truly would like to see but which are not really relevant to my purpose, I elected to stay at the Kibbutz and rest and relax.

The place was empty.  Almost every guest in the hotel had jumped on a tour bus and took off to go sight seeing.  There were only two of us left,  me and.....


...Phred.  The campus of this very pretty kibbutz is full of pheasant walking freely all over and calling in their loud voice.

Kibbutz Ma'agan is located right on the beach of the Sea of Galilee and not far from the city of Tiberias.   I think one of the reasons I chose to stay here today is that the weather is excellent, no clouds, hot sun....but remember, a good summer day at 200 ft. below sea level is a scorcher!  Rather sitting by the pool than climbing the rocks.

In addition to the beautiful swimming pools and the seaside beach are numerous fairly new buildings that house the guest rooms, the dining hall and reception area.

Meals are served buffet style and we sit at long, dining hall tables.  The fare is generous and good....not elegant, but certainly filling, balanced and tasty.   Everything is kosher, as one might expect, but the strict kosher laws make the buffet a little restrictive...beef is seldom available (of course pork is never available), even coffee becomes unavailable on Shabat and holidays if to make it requires pushing a button.  A little unusual for those of us used to an American fare, but we are certainly not going hungry because of it.

So today was my day of rest.  Swimming in the pool, catching up on email and blog, working on my papers for the MAP program, sorting photos and recharging batteries, mine and the camera's.

Tomorrow we check out of of here and head south.  Tomorrow night we check into our hotel in Jerusalem and remain there until the end of the tour.

So keep those cards and letters coming.